Frequently Asked Questions

Sending the application

In which semester can I start the MIEEP program?

Answer:  We only admit students for the fall semester starting in October.

The online application system does not seem to work for me. What should I do?

Answer: The online application system (uni-assist) is open every year from April 1st to May 15th. It is not possible to apply outside of this time frame. Please let us know if there are any specific issues, questions, or problems regarding the system or your application.

Regarding my MIEEP application, do I need to send anything by regular post?

Answer: At the time when you are starting to fill out your online application, there is no need to send anything by post. You should first complete your application online and upload all relevant material. Afterwards, you should send the documents that we ask you to.
Instructions on which documents to send and where to send them can be found in the checklist for applicants. For example, in the case of a foreign bachelor's degree, certified copies (along with translations) of diploma certificates, transcripts and your university-entrance qualification have to be sent via post. For more details with regards to the translation or the official certification of documents, please consult uni-assist (more information here). Note that documents per post must arrive before the deadline.

Language requirements

I have studied at an English speaking university for one semester and attended lectures and seminars which count towards my bachelor’s degree. Does my stay abroad (at the English speaking university) substitute for TOEFL/IELTS test results?

Answer: No. We only abstain from requiring language test reports if you have completed a full program that was taught entirely in English at an institution in a majority English speaking country. A list of majority-English speaking countries can be found in the checklist for applicants. In this case please provide proof in your online application. If you do not hold a degree from such an institution, language test results, like TOEFL or IELTS, are mandatory.

ETS (TOEFL) or the British Council (IELTS) sent my test reports directly to you. Do I still need to upload proof of my results to my online application?

Answer: Yes. During the application process, we only use the data and documents you upload to the online application system and sent via regular mail to uni-assist. In the case you have receive a positive answer by the admission committee, admission will be conditional on receiving the original score reports. The easiest and cheapest way is for you to use our institution codes at your test date, such that we receive your results right away. Sending test results after you took the test will cost you more money and time.

I am afraid I will be receiving my langauge test results after the application deadline. Can I submit my application without the report and submit it later on?

Answer: No, you have to provide your language test results at the time of your application. This holds true for all required documents of your application. Should you not receive the original score report in time or not at all, you have to upload a screenshot of your online results instead of the scan/pdf copy of your original reports.

Do you require specific knowledge of German and/or a certificate proving my German proficiency?

Answer: No, as our program is taught exclusively in English, you do not have to be proficient in German. No test or certificate is needed in this respect. Naturally, however, knowledge of the German language will help you in your everyday life here in Frankfurt.

Required documents

Do I have to submit a GRE or GMAT score?

Answer: No.

I haven't finished my bachelor's degree yet, but will do so during the summer. Can I apply with a preliminary diploma, my current transcript, and a certificate of enrollment?

Answer: Yes, you can. Please note that if you want to make use of this option, you must have completed at least 80% of your bachelor's degree at the time of your application. In regards to ECTS, this means that your academic transcript must contain at least 144 credit points at this Point.

Do I need a letter of recommendation?

Answer: No.

Selection and Admission

How many students apply and how many are admitted each year?

Answer: Out of approximately 500 applications we admit 40 students per year. Since the pool of applicants varies each year, chances of admission change as well. A minimum undergraduate GPA is not necessary, but admission is obviously competitive. Admission is based on the GPA from your undergraduate degree, motivational letter, grades from and the number of mathematical-quantitative courses within your bachelor’s degree.

When will I be notified of a decision?

Answer: You can expect to receive an answer on the status of your application in early July.

How will I be notified whether or not I have been accepted?

Answer: Every successful applicant will receive an unofficial acceptance letter via e-mail. In addition, all admitted applicants will receive an official acceptance letter via regular post.

I have completed my bachelor's degree in a foreign country. I am not sure, if this degree makes me eligible to apply for a master's degree at a German university. How can I find out?

Answer: As the answer to this question is very specific to different countries and degrees, you should check the DAAD website for guidelines regarding the equivalency of foreign degrees.

Can you evaluate my eligibility or chances before I apply?

Answer: No